Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe – A Delicious and Convenient Meal
Are you looking for a hearty and comforting meal that is easy to make and perfect for the colder months? Look no further than this slow cooker beef stew recipe.
This recipe is made with tender chunks of beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions, all slow cooked to perfection in a rich and flavorful broth. The best part? It can be made in a slow cooker, making it a convenient option for busy weeknights or lazy weekend days.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, red wine, and 1 cup of the beef broth. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In the slow cooker, combine the marinated beef, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of beef broth over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours, until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired, thicken the stew by mixing cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and stirring into the stew during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
This slow cooker beef stew is delicious served over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes or with a side of crusty bread. It also makes for great leftovers and can be easily reheated for a quick and satisfying meal.
Tips and Tricks
- For added flavor, try adding a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce or a teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the stew.
- For a richer stew, try using beef broth or stock instead of water.
- For a thicker stew, try adding more potatoes or using a flour or cornstarch slurry to thicken the broth.
This slow cooker beef stew recipe is a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for the colder months. It is easy to make, and the slow cooking process infuses the beef and vegetables with a rich and flavorful broth. Serve it over mashed potatoes or with crusty bread for a satisfying and delicious meal.