Eating a salad is an easy way to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals, and it doesn’t have to be boring! This Quinoa and Chickpea Salad with Dried Cranberries and Maple Balsamic Dressing is a healthy and delicious option that is packed with flavour and nutrition. Here’s how to make it:
Health Benefits of Quinoa and Chickpeas
Quinoa and chickpeas are two ingredients that are packed with health benefits. Quinoa is a complete protein that contains all nine essential amino acids. It’s also high in fibre, magnesium, and antioxidants, which can help improve your digestion and lower your risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Chickpeas are also high in protein and fibre, which can help you feel full and satisfied. They’re also a great source of iron, folate, and other essential vitamins and minerals.
Nutritional Information of Quinoa and Chickpeas
A cup of cooked quinoa contains:
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fibre: 5 grams
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
- Iron: 15% of the RDI
- Folate: 19% of the RDI
A cup of cooked chickpeas contains:
- Protein: 15 grams
- Fibre: 13 grams
- Iron: 26% of the RDI
- Folate: 71% of the RDI
Ingredients Needed to Make Quinoa and Chickpea Salad with Dried Cranberries and Maple Balsamic Dressing
For the salad:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
The preparation time for this salad is around 20 minutes.
How to Cook Quinoa and Chickpeas
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the quinoa to the saucepan and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the quinoa simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it with a fork and set it aside to cool.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then set them aside.
How to Make the Maple Balsamic Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Add in the maple syrup and minced garlic, and whisk until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assembling the Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked quinoa, chickpeas, dried cranberries, chopped red onion, diced red bell pepper, chopped parsley, and chopped mint.
- Drizzle the maple balsamic dressing over the salad and toss everything together until well combined.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
This salad is perfect as a standalone meal or as a side dish. It can be served cold or at room temperature. You can also add some protein, such as grilled chicken or tofu, to make it even more filling.
Leftovers of this salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Before serving, drizzle a little more dressing to freshen it up.
This Quinoa and Chickpea Salad with Dried Cranberries and Maple Balsamic Dressing is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy a salad. With its high protein and fibre content, it’s a great way to keep you full and satisfied. It’s easy to make and can be customized to suit your preferences. Give it a try today and enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal.